[[!comment format=mdwn username="joey" subject="""comment 1""" date="2017-07-30T14:51:13Z" content=""" I guess the problem involves running propellor at a unix tty, not in a GUI's virtual terminal? My limited understanding of `GPG_TTY`, refreshed by re-reading this ooold thread is that gpg is normally able to detect if it's in a GUI or at a tty, and will prompt in the tty if necessary. Where that may fall down is when gpg is run with its stdio connected to pipes, since then probably isatty fails. Although in at least some cases, gpg apparently then [falls back to /dev/tty](https://dev.gnupg.org/T1434). Propellor runs gpg with stdin and stdout piped to it when eg, decrypting the privdata file. I tried `propellor --list-fields` at the linux console and it fails there. But, when I tried `propellor --spin host` at the linux console, that worked ok, including making the gpg signed git commit. Of course git is running gpg in this case, and perhaps my version of git has its own way to avoid this problem. This does seems like something propellor could work around fairly inexpensively. (See also [[propellor_and_gpg2]].) """]]