[[!comment format=mdwn username="joey" subject="""comment 2""" date="2020-02-20T17:47:46Z" content=""" Seems odd that the way Arch has installed ghc would make `cabal install` fail without additional options being added very time. That does not strike me as a good decision if it's the case. I guess that the -dynamic should only be set on Arch, since only it has inflicted this problem on itself. Would appreciate a patch with the ghc 8.8 fixes. I would not be surprised if cabal new-build does not provide any good way to find out where the executable was put, because after all cabal build doesn't either (just it's easier to guess there). Cabal expects a workflow where that's followed by cabal install, or cabal run. This might be one way: `cabal new-install --symlink-bindir=.` But with my older version of cabal, that seems to not actually work, indeed I can't get it to install the binaries anywhere. Maybe it does work with the newer cabal where new-install is the default. Needing to detect whether new-build was used or not is an added complication. Best way I've found: find dist-newstyle/ -executable -type f |grep 'propellor$' """]]